The National Hockey League has one of the most loyal and enthusiastic fan-bases of all the major sports. Why wouldn’t it? The game first appeared in history records 4,000 years ago and was played in Egypt! Today, the hockey season spans several months, there are games every night, and the playoffs are always packed with great match-ups and upsets. With a dedicated fan base, NHL betting is another popular pastime among hockey aficionados.
And with a huge fan base, comes huge opportunities to make good money by making use of welcome bonuses and some betting knowhow.
Here are our top 3 online sports betting sites for hockey:
Top 3 NHL Betting Sites
- Very generous bonus payment system
- Bonus codes for every major event
- Mobile compatible and accessible
- 1 Top 3 NHL Betting Sites
- 2 BetOnline
- 3 SportsBetting.ag
- 4 Intertops
- 5 Bonuses & Promotions
- 6 Reputation
- 7 NHL Betting & Puck Lines
- 8 Special Wagers
- 9 Hockey Betting Guide
- 10 Four Steps to Betting on Hockey
- 11 Top Offshore Hockey Sites
- 12 Types of Hockey Bets
- 13 Live Betting on Hockey
- 14 Hockey Betting Strategy
- 15 3 Advanced Hockey Betting Tips
- 16 Hockey Betting Tips
- 17 Mobile Betting
- 18 Hockey Leagues to Bet On
- 19 The Season
- 20 Biggest Events to Bet On
Hockey is unique in many ways, and one of those ways is the opportunity to place a wager and get a big pay-out. Since most NHL betting sites are considered a bit of a niche, only a handful of people get to turn solid profits on hockey. Put simply, there’s plenty of untapped potential insofar as hockey goes and we are here to help you pick the sharpest odds and place the most successful wagers.
Whether you are only starting with the game or want to focus on finding the best hockey betting sites out there, you have come to the right place. We will help you find out all there is to know about hockey odds, top venues where you can place a winning wager, and more.
Bonuses & Promotions
Whether there’s a small event coming up or something big down the line, you will always want to check out the available bonuses. The Stanley Cup is a landmark opportunity for those of you interested in NHL betting. A bonus will go a long way to boost your overall bankroll and help you increase your odds of winning big, and specifically place more bets around the time of a landmark hockey competition, such as the Stanley Cup. The good news is that there’s always something you can benefit from, including cool hockey promotions as:
- Welcome bonuses
- Reload bonuses
- Loyalty bonuses
- Seasonal promotions
The best hockey betting sites will offer special deals for big events, important games, or a new season. All of our recommended hockey sites will have plenty of these. Most of these promotions will apply for the majority of sports, but as you are betting on hockey, you should look for the ones that are hockey-oriented.
If you plan on betting throughout the whole hockey season, the playoffs, and during the Cup, you won’t have any problem clearing the wagering requirements. The industry’s benchmark is between 3x and 5x for all your bonuses, which could include both the deposit and bonus amount. Remember that no matter how good the bonus, you should always carefully read through the wagering requirements.
The popularity of online hockey betting has been improving at a good pace year in and year out, and no stop is in sight. This has encouraged most sportsbooks out there to open dedicated NHL betting sections where you can track tons of competitions happening in North America and around the world. Yet, when you place a wager, you will want to make sure that the site is solid.
Some research can go a long way to save you from dealing with NHL betting sites that don’t quite meet the industry standards. This is why we only recommend highly-trusted gaming venues that have been in business for years. Or, if they are newer entrants, we make sure they are run by a company that has a recognizable name and provable track record.
NHL Betting & Puck Lines
Feeling serious about your next hockey bet? Well, it may be time to familiarize yourself with some of the most authentic wagers available. First comes the ‘puck line’ which is no different than the spread. Once again, you have a -1.5 detracted from the favorite’s final score and +1.5 added to the final score of the underdog.
But hey, how is that different than spread NHL betting?
It’s good that you notice such things. Well, the answer is simple – puck lines are always fixed to -1.5/+1.5 whereas the spread can fluctuate by quite a lot. What a puck line bet tells you is that a bookmaker takes NHL odds seriously and they want to offer you the best hockey experiences possible.
You have chosen a great hockey site, and you can even see a puck line or two, there. That’s awesome, but there is more to the hockey & NHL betting than that! There are other wagers to consider as well. Here’s a rundown of some of the best hockey wagers out there.
To begin with, we have the ‘First Period Wager’. Often considered a Prop, the First Period Wager is exactly what it sounds like.
You are picking the winner after Period One instead of Period Three. This is a good wager on teams with big offenses that often get big leads. Very much like baseball’s ‘First 5 Innings’ wager, it’s very popular and good to see it featured by a sportsbook that covers hockey.
The other bet you would like to see is the ‘NHL Grand Salami’ wager. This wager is a straightforward Totals bet where the gambler places a wager on the total number of points scored during all games in one day. Not just one of the games like a normal Totals bet, but all games due to be played on the same day.
Some hockey betting sites will even be more specific and offer Grand Salami wagers on away games or home games. It’s always worth checking these specific NHL wagers if your sportsbook is offering them. Most betting strategies advise you to stick with match winners, but the fact is that those special wagers you can place on the NHL come very close to an actual match winner bet, and we find them to be great opportunities to boost your profitability.
Hockey Betting Guide
Hockey is one of the oldest forms of sports on record, with the history books showing hockey being played as much as 4000 years ago in, hold on to your hats – EGYPT! The game as we know it in modern day, specifically with the NHL, has been around since December 19, 1917. It was re-invented in Canada with five teams agreeing to interlock sticks in the world’s first competitive hockey championship. The first hockey teams in the world were the:
Today, the NHL season has many more teams that play a significantly larger amount of games each year. Now, with many years behind us, people from around the world bet on hockey in many various forms. Whether your next hockey wager will be on the match winner, the totals or the Grand Salami, there is something to choose from for everyone.
Four Steps to Betting on Hockey
- When you make the decision to bet on hockey, the first thing you will need to do is find a sportsbook. Not just any sportsbook, you want to find one that is reliable, dependable and offers decent payouts on your NHL betting. There is quite a bit to consider here. You need to check out the wagers, see what wagers there are, whether a hockey betting app is available, and whether you can place bets during live events. Plus, it never hurts to specifically look into the reputation and security of the sportsbook.
- Now that you’ve found a hockey betting site worthy of the name, you need to sign up. Signing up with most online sportsbooks is as easy as counting down from 3. With most sites, you simply fill out a simple – although detailed – form that requires your name, address, date of birth and basic information consistent with filling out any form online. Just remember to provide truthful information, because most NFL betting sites are licensed and/or uphold certain KYC and anti-money laundering practices.
- Now that you’ve signed up and have an account, you need to make a deposit. Making a deposit should always be a simple process. You can pick from a number of great options, including bank cards, e-wallets, pre-paid vouchers, direct bank transfers, and cryptocurrency. Bitcoin betting is in fact very popular these days, because the transfers take only a few moments to complete.
- The only thing left to do is to log into your account and make your hockey bets! It is really that simple. You can be betting hockey in a matter of minutes. Just make sure that you have gone through your identity verification process that is required to ensure an even smoother overall experience.
Top Offshore Hockey Sites
Betting hockey is simple enough when you have a sportsbook that will help you get access to the best hockey odds, lines and events. Finding a decent bookmaker is always in the essence of a great NFL betting experience. Therefore, your attention should always stay focused on our recommended sites:
- MyBookie – One of our top hockey sportsbooks is none other than MyBookie. With a welcoming UI and simple navigation, this hockey betting site is a delight to use and promises to run on any desktop or mobile device. The company uses a state-of-the-art software to ensure that you are always safe placing a hockey bet. Speaking of, you can bet on the NHL Playoffs, Stanley Cup and regular season games. There’s always a great international coverage of events.
- Bookmaker – One of the biggest assets a hockey betting site can offer bettors is the availability of early markets. Hockey sites such as Bookmaker make sure to release the odds well ahead of the season. Futures can appear as soon as the old season has wrapped up. Bookmaker focuses on NHL Futures in the off-season and international games, but once hockey returns to North America, you will see a big spike in activities.
- GTBets – GTBets has always been one of the top hockey betting sites, not only because they have a large variety of NHL plays but they also have other hockey wagers available in the off season. GTBets commonly have wagers available on Russian Hockey, Finland Hockey, Germany Hockey and many other European leagues. GTBets usually have very competitive odds & lines for their hockey games and are one of the best companies in the industry.
- Intertops – This sportsbook is one of the more experienced hockey oddsmaker available. Intertops posts very competitive lines and gives bettors a wide variety of options when betting on hockey. It is very easy to make deposits and withdraws at Intertops, too, and the customer service is top notch! Intertops has the most hockey betting options, covering some 20-odd markets.
Types of Hockey Bets
We spoke about the NHL wagers before, and specifically the Grand Salami and Puck Line. Now, it’s time to look at what available hockey bets there are a little closer.
- Puck Line – Puck line is a fixed -1.5/+1.5 bet. Similar to a Spread bet, the favorite will get 1.5 decked from their final score whereas the underdog will get 1.5 point added to their final score.
- Totals – In total bets you wager on whether a certain number of points has been scored during a hockey game. For example, if you bet on Over (O) 12 points, it means the game ended up with over 80 points total. If you bet on Under (U) 12 points, it means that the total points scored – by both teams – haven’t reached 12. You will see totals referred to as O/U betting.
- Moneyline – Moneyline wagering is simply a basic wager on a specific team to win a game. There is no point spread and your hockey team just needs to win the game.
- Parlays – A parlay bet is a combination of two or more bets placed together at a specific odd that is usually more beneficial than playing a straight spread wager. Both teams must win for you to gain the advantage of the odds.
- The Grand Salami – A Grand Salami bet is a combined sum of every hockey team playing on that single night.
Hockey odds and lines are released at different intervals. Oddsmakers try to expedite the process and release the new odds as soon as a game featuring a team due to play soon after has concluded. Hockey lines usually reflect the total points scored and the record of the team. It’s always a good idea to check up with most hockey betting sites to make sure you are playing at the best odds. Cross-referencing different bookmakers is always smart when looking for an edge in your betting game.
Live Betting on Hockey
Hockey is a game of momentum and many times, a team will jump out to an early lead. Yet, even the slightest altering of the squad, such as replacing the goaltender (or goalie), could lead to halting that momentum. A lot can change during a game of hockey, especially if this is live betting we are talking about.
When you have had some time to analyze performance and injury reports, your decision making process is somewhat easier. Yet, with hockey live betting, you will have to make split-second decisions in a crunch, which takes skill and deep understanding of the game. A player may be injured so that he can’t continue and it’s at that point that you should be able to tell how that is going to influence the rest of the game.
Live betting is a different beast altogether. You will need to focus on not only analyzing the game in real time, but also picking a sportsbook that offers decent live bets. What to look out for when making your bets? We recommend focusing on the:
- Cash out
- Available games
As to the choice of decent hockey betting sites that offer live odds, we recommend two specific operators. At places like BetOnline and SportsBetting, you can pick a $25 risk-free wager for all your live games, which is quite cool.
For your hockey live betting action, you may want to check MyBookie. They are one of the friendliest and easiest sites to use and their live feature is quick to use and easy to maneuver through. The second online sportsbook that we recommend is Bookmaker. Bookmaker rarely ever has any issues with its live betting markets and they offer a ton of options. Definitely a great pick if you are into live betting.
Hockey Betting Strategy
Ask any expert professional gambler and they will tell you that they have some sort of strategy that they use to maintain their long-term success in NHL betting. Some strategies are more basic whereas others require in-depth research. Yet, a great stratagem will always work. Below are three basic hockey betting strategies that our experts have listed to help you with betting on hockey games.
- Know Team Schedules – A team schedule will always help you establish a good understanding of the season a team is facing, and more specifically help you predict the outcome of their pending games. Traveling around the country for games can wear players down and this is precisely what happens. Mark these times down on a calendar and use it to your advantage. If you see that a team has been on the road for 2 weeks, and are starting to play worse towards the end of the road trip, chances are, they are tired and possibly a team you want to wager against.
- Watch Those Group Games – This is very similar to the above strategy but applies to teams even when they are at home. Many times throughout the year, teams will play stretches of games that wear them down. Hockey is a very competitive game, and often times, teams will end up playing several games in a row. Back-to-back games are also very common in the NHL and it’s worth keeping this in mind. You might find a good betting opportunity in betting against a team that’s about to play their 3rd back-to-back game.
- Know The Injuries – This sounds like a common sense thing, but far too often people ignore injuries because lines usually aren’t changed in hockey. What that means is, hockey is different than other sports in the fact that when players get injured and taken out of the starting lineup, the puck line or point spread does not change.
Instead, the odds on the game will change, which most people don’t pay attention to. Hockey is one of the toughest sports in the world and players are injured every game. Find out who is out before you place any wagers.
3 Advanced Hockey Betting Tips
Once you begin to understand the basic hockey betting strategy options, you will want to begin improving your style of wagering so that you become more profitable and start reaping solid benefits from betting. The next three strategies are more advanced betting tips to help you really crush the sportsbooks, if not completely, then to at least help you turn a good profit on your investment, which is usually between 10% and 30%.
- Know The Goalie – Odds are usually released at least a day before for each game. A fair bit of the odds focus on the goaltender or the goalie. Hockey is different than most sports in the fact that goalies will rotate so that two players on a team can fulfil the role. If you find that the weaker of the two goalies is playing for a team, you may want to bet on the opposite team. Of course, you absolutely must factor the overall skill level of a team. Some NHL squads are capable of crushing lower-tier teams even with their B team.
- Play The Afternoon Matinee Under – The NHL is making a constant effort into getting more younger fans out to hockey games. Betting on these specific NHL and hockey games is usually a proven stratagem, especially if you have a keen interest in following these particular contests. This strategy is VERY successful but it only works on games that hit the ice before 1:30 PM.
- Stop Playing Parlays In Hockey! – Hockey can be one of the tougher sports to bet on because the salary cap makes the teams fairly even, therefore any team can win on any given night. Winning one game is tough but winning two, three or even four teams in a single night is much harder. Many people will see parlay payouts and be persuaded into playing a parlay for a bigger payday. Yet, most hockey games are somewhat of a toss-up. Remember how players suffer constant injuries? It doesn’t take a great team to injure the best players a team has to throw at them.
Hockey Betting Tips
Hockey isn’t as popular as some of the other sports due to its limited exposure in cities across the US but there are still hundreds, if not thousands of tipsters and oddsmakers that are experts at picking great NHL games. NHL’s popularity suffers a bit because it has to compete neck-and-neck with the NFL, which is America’s prime sports pastime.
Perhaps because of this somewhat limited interest, NHL betting sites still offer some of the best payouts. Don’t misread this, though, because placing a successful wager is still the result of a lot of hard work. There might be fewer people actively betting on the NHL, but your personal success will be only guaranteed by the same overall factors, such as – understanding of the odds and hockey knowledge.
Mobile betting is popular among most gamblers and rightfully so. With mobile betting, you can download a dedicated NHL betting app to a handy mobile device such as iPhone, iPad, Kindle or other sort of mobile device and wager from the device at anytime, anywhere! No more failing wagers because you have social engagements, then finding out a player is out of the lineup.
You will save yourself those gut-wrenching moments when you find out that if you had waited just a little longer, you would have saved yourself some money. With the great mobile options and some of the best NHL betting apps out there, you can be on the go and keep ahead in the betting race.
Hockey Leagues to Bet On
The most well-known, and really the only league to bet on for hockey is the National Hockey League, also known as the NHL. The NHL consists of 31 teams, which is one of the only professional sports with an uneven number of teams. The 31st team to be franchised into the NHL was the team from Las Vegas, who will start playing in the 2018-2019 season.
If you are willing to expand your traditional hockey betting grounds, there is an entire world of opportunities out there. Sportsbooks such as Intertops offer you a great variety of possible betting options, to name the German DEL, Finnish SM-liga, Czech Extraliga, Swiss National League, Russian KHL, and many others.
The NHL Hockey Season runs from early October through early April. Each team in the NHL will play a total of 82 games in the season. NHL is played on nearly every night of the week, with matinee games usually being played on Saturday and Sunday.
Biggest Events to Bet On
The biggest event to bet on in hockey is the Stanley Cup Finals. The Stanley Cup Finals is a best of seven series. The Stanley Cup Finals usually takes place around the final week of May and goes into the first week of June.