The first bets within the Pennsylvanian border were placed in November 2018, following the repeal of the 1992 Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act. The legalization of sportsbooks has allowed many local casinos and racetracks to expand their businesses and made the Keystone State the largest sports betting state in the country.
With a multitude of land-based and online bookies, Pennsylvanian sports fans undoubtedly have a huge pool of betting venues to choose from. On top of that, there are many offshore betting sites that cater to US citizens and offer fantastic bonuses and promotions.
Speaking of bonuses, they are the main point of difference between US-based and offshore online bookies. While it is true that both boast compelling promotions, offshore betting sites tend to astonish prospective clients with their offers, leaving the competition in the dust.
For this reason, I’ve taken it upon myself to provide a thorough breakdown of the offshore betting scene for US citizens and clue you in on the most important information. Keep scrolling to learn more!
Here are our top online sports betting sites for US players in Pennsylvania:
Top 5 PA Online Sports Betting Sites
- Very generous bonus payment system
- Bonus codes for every major event
- Mobile compatible and accessible
- 1 Top 5 PA Online Sports Betting Sites
- 2 BetOnline
- 3 Bovada
- 4 SportsBetting.ag
- 5 BetUS
- 6 MyBookie
- 7 Is It Legal to Bet on Offshore Sportsbooks From Pennsylvania?
- 8 Why Are Offshore Sports Betting Sites Better
- 9 Different Types of Bets You Can Make
- 10 Popular Sports Betting Markets in Pennsylvania
- 11 Different Pennsylvania Events You Can Bet On
- 12 FAQ
Is It Legal to Bet on Offshore Sportsbooks From Pennsylvania?
Yes, offshore sports betting is legal for all bettors from Pennsylvania. Although there are legalized bookmakers that fall within the state’s jurisdiction, there are no legislations forbidding Pennsylvanian citizens from wagering on offshore betting sites.
Why Are Offshore Sports Betting Sites Better
With a huge number of legal brick-and-mortar and online domestic bookies, why would one opt for offshore bookmakers? Well, there are plenty of reasons, and here are some of them:
- Larger welcome bonuses for new players — While PA sports betting sites do offer welcoming promotions to their new members, the value you can get out of offshore sites’ bonuses is staggeringly higher. It is not uncommon to find an offshore betting site offering free bets worth thousands of dollars, whereas only some domestic online bookies go up to $1000.
- More privacy — The majority of offshore betting sites enable the use of cryptocurrencies for deposits and withdrawals, which means you can place wagers without having to provide any personal or banking information to the sportsbook. This offers unparalleled security, as you don’t have to expose any sensitive information to potential unauthorized parties.
- Larger selection of sportsbooks — While there are currently only a handful of Pennsylvania online sports betting sites, users can find hundreds of offshore bookmakers. A greater choice means a more competitive market and better offers, which makes it easier for bettors to find their ideal match.
- Huge range of deposit/withdrawal methods — It is a well-known fact that offshore betting sites offer many different payment methods to their members. You can choose among credit and debit cards, prepaid card providers, numerous e-wallets, and, very often, cryptocurrencies. In contrast, most PA domestic bookies offer only several standard banking options.
- More features — Offshore bookmakers have been operating for a much longer time than PA sports betting sites. As a result, they are able to offer more advanced features. These can include live streaming, free contests, bet builders, and partial cashouts, to name a few.
Different Types of Bets You Can Make
Another huge benefit of wagering at offshore betting sites is the sheer number of different bets you are allowed to make. Here are some that are commonly offered:
- Moneyline bets: This is the simplest and most popular type of bets you can place in an online sportsbook. You just need to bet on a team or player you think will win the match, and you will win the bet if your prediction is correct. The betting options can get more nuanced depending on the sport. For instance, in football, you can also bet on the draw, whereas you don’t get to do this for other sports, such as tennis.
- Straight bets: Also known as a point spread, this type of wager gives you a chance to bet on which side will “cover the spread.” The spread is created by deducting points from a favorite and giving them to the underdog instead, thus making the opposing sides more equal. The underdog is marked with a (+) sign on the spread, whereas the favorite bears a (-) sign. If you predict the winning margin correctly, you win the bet.
- Outright bets: This type of bet lets you place a wager on the potential winning participant of a competition or tournament weeks or months before it starts. Outright betting, also known as ante-post betting, can bring you high payouts if you predict the winner correctly.
- Prop bets: Prop bets, or special bets, are counted among the most entertaining wagers out there, as they are completely unrelated to the final result of the game. You can bet on some specific elements of games — for instance, you can try to guess who will take the first corner or which player will score the first goal, among other things.
- Accumulator bets: If you’d like to bet on multiple selections, you can opt for the accumulator wager. Although the potential payout is temptingly high, this bet is relatively hard to win since you have to get all selections right.
Popular Sports Betting Markets in Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania is home to many professional NFL, NHL, MLB, and NBA teams, most of which are based in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. Offshore betting sites offer bets covering all the professional leagues and teams from the Keystone State.
The Philadelphia 76ers, colloquially known as the Sixers, are members of the Eastern Conference Atlantic Division of the NBA league. The team won three championships from 1955 to 1983 and bred multiple Hall of Fame players.
The Philadelphia Eagles, a famed NFL member, are the greatest rival of the New York Giants and the 2017 Super Bowl winners, with three Championship Game titles under their belt.
The Philadelphia Flyers are a professional ice hockey team with the third-best all-time point percentage and the highest number of appearances in the NHL league’s conference finals.
Founded in 1883, the Philadelphia Phillies, a professional MLB team based in Philadelphia, is the oldest continuous franchise in USA professional sports. The team has won two World Series championships and seven National League pennants.
In addition to professional leagues, Pennsylvanian residents can also bet on college sports, tennis, golf, horse racing, cricket, darts, MMA, and many other markets.
Different Pennsylvania Events You Can Bet On
Major Pennsylvanian cities, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh boast a plethora of event venues and stadiums, allowing them to host college-level events and major sporting events for the NFL, NCAA, NASCAR, and other leagues. Some of the most recent sporting events include the NCAA Men’s Frozen Four, the NCAA Division II Women’s Basketball Elite 8, and the NASCAR Pocono 400. Offshore PA sports betting sites offer wagering on all of these events and more.
Yes, it is. There are no state or national laws that prohibit Pennsylvanian bettors from wagering on offshore sites.
Offshore sportsbooks are legal betting sites hosted in areas outside of the US. Their servers are usually located in countries like Panama and Curacao.
Absolutely! Offshore sports betting sites are licensed by the most renowned licensing bodies in the industry, and they run strict security protocols to protect user data.
Online sportsbooks are ranked based on different criteria, so it largely depends on your preferences. However, whether you’re looking for huge bonuses or the best competitive odds, our list of the best picks will help you find just what you need.
They most certainly are. Offshore sportsbooks employ the latest SSL protocols, such as the ones used by major financial institutions, to protect sensitive user information from unauthorized access.