After decades of being prohibited, sports betting finally became legal in Colorado in November 2019. After Proposition DD was passed following a voter referendum, many operators instantly jumped on the bandwagon, as both land-based and online sportsbooks were made legal.
However, it wasn’t until May 1, 2020 that the first bets were placed within the state border, facilitated by BetRivers, DraftKings, BetMGM, and FanDuel. A total of 33 retail casinos launched their sportsbooks, accepting bettors at 21 years old or above.
However, state-licensed bookies are not the only option Coloradan bettors have when it comes to sports betting. In fact, multiple offshore sportsbooks accept bettors from Colorado and offer a much more diverse service than Colorado sports betting sites.
Today we’ll take a look at these bookies and see what they have to offer in terms of the range of bets, betting markets, Colorado sporting events, and other important features.
Here are our top online sports betting sites for US players in Colorado:
Top 5 Colorado Online Sports Betting Sites
- Very generous bonus payment system
- Bonus codes for every major event
- Mobile compatible and accessible
- 1 Top 5 Colorado Online Sports Betting Sites
- 2 BetOnline
- 3 Bovada
- 4 SportsBetting.ag
- 5 BetUS
- 6 MyBookie
- 7 Is It Legal To Bet on Offshore Sportsbooks From Colorado?
- 8 Why Are Offshore Sports Betting Sites Better?
- 9 Different Types of Bets You Can Make
- 10 Popular Sports Betting Markets in Colorado
- 11 Different Colorado Events You Can Bet On
- 12 FAQ
Is It Legal To Bet on Offshore Sportsbooks From Colorado?
Absolutely. Since November 2019, all kinds of sports betting have been legal for all Coloradan citizens. This includes state-licensed land-based and online Colorado betting sites, as well as offshore sportsbooks.
Why Are Offshore Sports Betting Sites Better?
Now that sports betting in Colorado is legal in both land-based and online forms, one might wonder why they should use offshore betting sites instead. Simply put, offshore bookies have been around for much longer and can offer much better perks and features. Here are the most important advantages:
- Larger welcome bonuses for new players. While Colorado sports betting sites do offer some great bonuses and promotions, they can rarely come up to the standard offered by offshore sportsbooks. This is especially true of welcome bonuses that are sometimes worth thousands of dollars in bonus money.
- More incognito and private. State-licensed sportsbooks usually require that you submit a lot of personal and banking information to use their services. On the other hand, offshore sportsbooks can be much more discrete, especially since they accept cryptocurrencies that allow you to make online transactions without revealing your identity.
- Larger selection of sportsbooks. The world of sports betting in Colorado is still developing, which means that the number of available bookies is limited. Conversely, offshore sportsbooks have existed for decades now, and their number is significantly higher, allowing bettors to find options tailored to their preferences.
- Huge range of deposit/withdrawal methods. Most local bookies offer a standard and limited choice of payment options, which may not be suitable for most bettors. Offshore sportsbooks, however, have been known for accepting a myriad of payment methods, including cryptocurrencies, which you will rarely find in a Colorado sports betting site.
- More features. If you consider yourself to be more than just a casual bettor and you like taking advantage of features such as live betting, bet builders, early cash-outs, and more, offshore betting sites got you covered.
Different Types of Bets You Can Make
Whereas local sportsbooks may offer a limited number of types of bets you can make, most offshore sportsbooks enable a plethora of different options. Some of the most popular bets you can make in almost all offshore sportsbooks are:
- Moneyline bets – By far the most common type of bets, the moneyline bet lets you wager on a team you think will win. If your chosen contender wins, you get the money.
- Point spread bets – In point spread bets, the sportsbook will even out the “spread” between a favorite and the underdog by adding or subtracting points. Guess the winning or losing margin correctly, and you’ll win.
- Totals (over/under) – When betting on totals, you need to predict the total score of a game or a match. The sportsbook will set a line, and you need to guess whether the total score will be over or under that amount.
- Futures – Just as its name suggests, this bet is about wagering on the future outcome of a sporting event. Bets are usually placed before the tournament or a championship starts.
- Parlay – A parlay is a single wager that combines multiple bets. For instance, it can include money lines, point spreads, totals, futures, and other types of bets, but all of them have to be on different games or matches.
- Props – Contrary to other bets we’ve mentioned, props have nothing to do with the outcome of the games and matches. Instead, you bet on specific occurrences during a sporting event. One example is betting on which team will score the first goal in a soccer game.
Popular Sports Betting Markets in Colorado
In addition to an array of different types of bets you can make, offshore sportsbooks also make sure to offer betting on as many sports as possible. Therefore, apart from the major leagues that always dominate the market, Coloradan bettors can place their wagers on most popular sports and events.
For instance, you can bet on tennis, golf, boxing, MMA, volleyball, hockey, rugby, swimming, bowling, and many other sports. What’s more, many offshore sportsbooks enable betting on esports, if you ever feel like changing things up a bit.
Different Colorado Events You Can Bet On
Colorado sports betting sites will have you covered when it comes to all major sporting events. Therefore, you’ll be able to bet on all leagues and championships, including the NBA, NFL, NHL, MLS, the US Open, and Daytona 500, to name a few.
Naturally, these sportsbooks also allow you to bet on your favorite Coloradan teams such as Denver Broncos, Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche, and Colorado Rapids, among many others.
Yes, it is. There are no laws in the state that forbid the residents of Colorado to bet on offshore betting sites.
Offshore sportsbooks are sports betting sites hosted in areas outside of the United States, usually Panama or Curacao.
Yes, absolutely. Offshore sportsbooks are fully legalized providers bound by international laws, and most of them run the latest security protocols to protect user data from unauthorized access.
There are a plethora of excellent sportsbooks that accept US players. Make sure to check out our list of the best online sportsbooks, and find the one that fits your preferences best.
They certainly are. Offshore sportsbooks utilize state-of-the-art security measures to protect their servers and sensitive user data.