UFC BETTING GUIDE
The world of MMA has been taken to a whole new aspect with the recent increases in betting on Mixed Martial Arts Fights. The sport of MMA itself has become one of the most watched events each week, available on regular TV and also on Pay Per View. Betting on MMA has become more prominent recently with MMA events going from being a month occurrence to now, weekly and in most cases several times a week.
TOP 5 UFC BETTING SITES
FOUR STEPS TO START BETTING ON MMA
- The first thing you need to do in order to wager on MMA is find an offshore sportsbook and sign up for an account. There are hundreds, if not thousands of online offshore sportsbooks that you can wager on various sports but only a few select sites will afford you with the opportunity to bet on Mixed Martial Arts. Out of those handful of sites that allow MMA wagering, only a few are respected and have established a name for themselves in the industry. It is very important that you make sure you are going with a respected sportsbook that is considered one of the top MMA online sports betting sites.
- The next step is sign up at the offshore sportsbook. Signing up at most sportsbooks are usually fast, easy and take only a few minutes. Signing up should only take you about 10 minutes, You can literally sign up for at a sportsbook and be betting on MMA within minutes!
- After you sign up, the next step is to deposit funds into your account. With most sportsbooks nowadays, you can use a credit card to get started or now, you can use Bitcoin. Bitcoin is the ideal form of making deposits and withdrawing funds because it is safe, private and secure.
- The final step is to log on using your username and password and place your MMA wagers.
TOP OFFSHORE MMA SITES
We may sound like a broken record but the importance of finding a respected and reputable online sportsbook is worth its weight in gold! With MMA, you won’t find as many online sportsbooks that offer wagering on fights and some sites are definitely better than others. Below, we will list our top four online sportsbooks for betting on MMA. There are many other sportsbooks that we recommend for other sports but for strictly betting on Mixed Martial Arts, we find that these are the best!
- Bookmaker -If you’re looking for a online sportsbook that releases odds early that are competitive with plenty of bonuses, be sure to check out Bookmaker. Bookmaker seems to release odds earlier than most others and provide their clients with constant bonuses for deposits, re-ups and provide you with not only flat wagers on MMA but allow parlaying of fighters.
- Bovada - When it comes to reliability and stability, no one is stronger than Bovada. Bovada was originally known as part of the Bodog organization, which was the only way to bet on MMA back in the early 2000’s. Since the inception of Bovada, MMA wagering has been a part of the company since day 1 and the reliability of the website is second to none.
- Intertops - Intertops is very well known in the MMA industry and mainly due to the fact that they’ve been around for over 21 years. At Intertops, they make it very easy for you to find yourself around the website and even easier to place your wager. The Intertops website doesn’t force you to venture all around the website to simply place a bet. You click on UFC, then click on the wager you want to play then click the amount and that is it! Fast, simple and easy!
- BetOnline - When you are betting MMA, it is important to find the best odds for your wager and it seems the BetOnline usually has the most competitive odds in the industry. There are many times when you will find one fighter at inflated odds at one website but can find him at a much lower price at BetOnline.
TYPES OF MMA BETS
Betting on MMA is not as prominent as betting on some other sports and the options for wagering on fights is still fairly limited. Below, we will list some available options for betting on MMA at many of the various online sportsbooks.
- MoneyLine - Moneyline wagering is simply a basic wager on a specific fighter to win the fight. The moneyline is attached with odds, either in favor of or against that individual fighter, and your winnings or return on investment is based on those odds.
- Totals - Total Bets are the over/under round bets that you can wager on an MMA fight.These type of wagers also have odds attached to them, with the round number usually being either Over/Under 1.5 or 2.5 rounds. For championship title fights, the line is sometimes set as high as 4.5 rounds due to the title fights being 5 rounds instead of the standard 3 rounds.
- Parlays - A parlay bet is a combination of two or more bets placed together at a specific odd that is usually more beneficial than playing a straight spread wager. Both fighters must win for you to gain the advantage of the odds. These are great to play if you like a fighter that is really high in odds and not really beneficial to play flat. By placing the fighter with high odds, with another fighter with smaller odds, you significantly increase your winnings on that fighter and decrease the amount of money you can lose if he happens to get upset.
MMA BETTING ODDS & LINES
MMA odds are one of the last to be added and released, mainly because the oddsmakers usually want to wait until after the weigh-in to make sure fighters make weight and the fight goes on as scheduled. Another reason they will wait until closer to fight time is to see what the fighter looks like at the weigh-ins. Many times, you can look at a fighter and see that they are dehydrated and look unhealthy, which will place the advantage on their opponent’s side.
LIVE BETTING ON MMA
MMA is one of the few sports that Live Betting is not available. Most fights are only schedule for 3 rounds, championship title fights being 5 rounds, and each round only lasting 5 minutes. It is difficult for online sportsbooks to place a live betting odd on the fight because of the limited time and determining who is winning.
UFC Betting Strategy
Finding a strategy that works in MMA is much more difficult than in other sports because it is a fight and anything can happen in a fight. That being said, you can usually look at a fight and find some strategies that pay off time and time again. Building your bankroll is what is most important so look for those little strategies that help you win your wagers on your fighters.
Below, we will list three strategies that we have found that are successful and pay off in MMA fights.
- Play Fighters Fighting In Front Of Home Crowd - The UFC is known as marketing masterminds and they do what they need to do to keep putting people in the seats. Part of that marketing requires placing fighters in advantageous positions where they can win in front of their friends and family. If tickets aren’t being sold, the company can’t stay in business, it is that simple. This is also very important on the regional level as the regional promotions rely much more than the larger promotions like UFC and Bellator on ticket sales. If you see that an event is being held in New Jersey, and the main event is between a fighter from New Jersey and a fighter from California, chances are they are bringing the fighter from California in to take a loss to the home town ticket seller.
- Avoid Betting On Fighters Off Layoff - Turn on any UFC event and at least one time throughout the event you will hear a commentator talk about cage rust. Some people say that it doesn’t exist but more times than not, fighters that are out of the cage for more than a year do not do as well as fighters who are active, fighting several times a year.
- Don’t Bet Late Replacement Fighters - Unlike other sports, many times a fight will be changed late due to injuries, failure to make weight or for personal reasons. When this happens, more often than not the promotion will attempt to replace one of the fighters. Many times that means the replacement fighter has much less time to train and most importantly, have a significantly less amount of time to cut weight, forcing them to come in with less cardio and less power in a fight.
3 ADVANCED UFC BETTING TIPS
Some of the more advanced UFC betting tips that we feel are the most important to your success are found in this section of this MMA betting guide. These tips are suggestions from experiences from within. They are not the end all, be all, but rather some advanced suggestions on what has worked for many of the experts within the industry.
- Look For Underdogs With Finishing Ability - One of the biggest misconceptions in UFC betting is that the favorite will always win. It is true that the favorite will win more times than not but not always. From 2013 until 2017, the favorite has won in the UFC 67% of the time over the underdog. That means that 33% of the time, the dog won and paid off for whoever had him. If you can find one of those underdogs that have the ability to win a fight, you can significantly increase your winnings with a much smaller wager due to their inflated odds. For example, when Ronda Rousey fought Holly Holm, Rousey was an overwhelming favorite and no one really gave Holm much of a chance of winning the fight but Holm proved the world wrong because she has some of the best striking in the UFC. Anyone that had Holm cashed in at a clip of 11 to 1. That means if you had the courage to place a $100 wager on Holly Holm, you cashed in a nice $1100 return on your money!
- Bet Style Advantages - If you’ve been around the sport of MMA, you’ve probably heard the slogan “Styles Make Fights”. When one fighter, that is a striker with low level takedown defense, is fighting another fighter that is a grappler and has high takedown efficiency, chances are the grappler will hold a distinctive advantage if the fight hits the ground. Watch for these type of advantages as you can set the advantage on your side for gambling.
- Watch For Fighters Getting The Push - When you hear people talking about certain fighters getting a push, in most circumstances, it is true. Take Conor McGregor as an example. He came into the UFC with a big following and the UFC immediately picked up on his ability to draw from a crowd. They started to give him fights that would build him up and now, he is one of, if not the biggest draw in the world for Mixed Martial Arts. Bottom line, the promotions are not going to dedicate a significant amount of money into promoting a fighter and then put him in a fight that they think he or she will lose.
UFC BETTING PICKS
All though not impossible to find, it is much harder to find reliable websites that will give you decent winners each week in MMA. MMA betting hasn’t been around as long as football, baseball and basketball so there aren’t as many experts in the industry to give out free plays. Now, just because there aren’t many experts around the industry doesn’t mean there isn’t people out there trying to take your money and get you to sign up for “Guaranteed Winners” and claiming to give away “Free Plays”. We caution you to be careful with your options and only use handicappers that have proven success in the sport of Mixed Martial Arts.
In modern day, we rely on our mobile devices to get through life as we track our bills, check calendars, store photos and use it as a main form of communication for talking, sending text messages and checking email. We now can use these same devices to place online wagers, no matter where we are or what time of the day it is with mobile betting!
MMA Mobile Betting has become very popular among fans attending MMA events or for those that are out at a nightclub during the event and can’t get access to their computer. Many times when betting on MMA, we are reliant on odds and we sometimes want to wait until the very last minute to try to get the best odds available. This is ideal for those type of players since you can bet from your phone at any time before the fight.
The two top online sportsbooks that we recommend for mobile betting are MyBookie and Bovada. Both of these online sportsbooks allow you to bet from anywhere and anytime!
One of the nicest parts of being a fan of MMA is there really isn’t a season. This is one of the only year around sports that do not truly have a rest period. You can find MMA events in nearly every week, throughout the year.
MMA LEAGUES TO BET ON
Without a doubt, the biggest league or organization in Mixed Martial Arts is the Ultimate Fighting Championships, also known as the UFC. The UFC has been around since 1993 and has gone through some major changes over the years. The company was recently sold from Zuffa to their current owners William Morris Endeavors, also referred to as WME-IMG. The cost for WME-IMG was a whopping $4 billion dollars. UFC can be seen weekly on large television broadcasts such as Fox and Fox Sports 1, as well as on their internet broadcast website called UFC Fight Pass.
The second largest promotion to bet on is Bellator MMA. Bellator is primarily owned by the media giant Viacom and can be watched on Spike TV. Bellator was once considered a second rate MMA promotion but has recently began increasing their talent pool of fighters and is now starting to place themselves in position to legitimately compete with the UFC.
There are also various regional and lower level MMA promotions that are available to be wagered on each week. This is a hit or miss situation with many of the online sportsbooks but most can be found if you check on the same day as the event. Promotions such as Invicta FC, Titan FC, Legacy FC, One FC and many others usually have their main card available to be wagered on at online sportsbooks.
BIGGEST EVENTS TO BET ON
The largest event to bet on are the main events in the UFC. With the sport of MMA, there really isn’t an annual championship and instead with this sport being a solo sport, fighters will contend for titles and championships. Most of your larger scale events and a majority of championship fights, will be held on pay per view.